Decision Day

             My initial impression of InDesign and Premier pro after watching tutorials of the programs was all over the place. I can’t lie, my impressions were negative. Confusion ran through my mind while I was trying to follow the tutorial and mess around with the buttons, but I couldn’t catch up. There were so many buttons and functions that I didn’t know how to use. To add on to the stress, the programs were slow and took forever to open. 

Although, I may be confused with how the programs work, I believe it would one day be my holy grail into delivering my “story” with the project I may do. I just need to explore the functions more further. When creating my project, I will follow “The Four C’s of critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity”, to ensure a story understood by my audience (Our place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom).  These programs can help me with most of the creativity side of The Four C’s as my designs would foreshadow my story. The best story that you can tell is your own, but what attracts an audience is the way you tell the story. This is important because everyone has different perspectives on certain situations. For example, a student could have a different perspective than teachers because they are younger because, “They each see the world uniquely, and their perspectives on social events, concepts, and social interactions are just as important... (Our place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom). The way you tell your story is very important too. In this generation, people aren’t interested in reading anymore and editors must find new ways to gain more readers for their magazines. Since literary magazines are a bit different than the magazines the younger generation prefers to read, it is hard because there’s more personal essays, memoirs, and research writings. Morgan, an editor for a literary magazine, finds that “the best way to reach a larger public is to publish the magazine in more formats and more collections of work,” (Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines). Since the inside of a magazine can’t attract readers on the shelves, the editors must find a way to design their covers that would attract readers. Gutkind came up with a redesign that incorporates “color and illustrations into the magazine, is certainly intended to make it more reader friendly,” (Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines).  

To conclude, I find that the best way to deliver my “story” is to tell my perspective while also adding some creativity to truly make it my own. I think the best project for me is the magazine because I think the best way I can express myself is through writing and art. With the magazine, I can create a cover that foreshadows my story and hopefully has people interested in reading it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production 7

Magazine Cover Review